Friday, November 28, 2008

Thoughts on Music Technology #2

Well, there has been a lot of happenings since I last wrote a blog on music technology. Where to start is the question. We helped run a PA concert a couple weeks ago. It was nice being on the other side of things this time. I liked working with all the guitars; having thousands of dollars worth of guitars going through your hands is just amazing. But I have to be honest, it kind of hurt when I learnt that Orry had re tuned his guitar. Not that I'm attacking him, but I've been playing guitar for almost 4 years, I'm pretty sure I'm as good as him at tuning guitars, it's not that hard. But besides that, I loved working with the concert.
One thing that has improved since last time is the fact that there isn't a bunch of people in the office that really shouldn't be in the office. I mean, there have been a few times, but nothing unbearable. We can finally work in peace.
Another thing is the mastering, and thanks to some EQ knowledge, I now understand for the most part what I am doing when I am mastering a track. I know what "slider" is supposed to go up or down when I want to hear something while I'm mastering. That has definitely improved since last time.
Two things I can't wait for are the full band track by track recording and the myspace. It is going to be fun to record the tracks kind of how they do it in the real studios. So yeah, that it is something I am definitely looking forward too. And myspace is going to be fun. The band came up with many good ideas of what to put up there and a hilarious band picture. I have to admit I am going to get my brother to teach me some HTML and CSS so that I can make the myspace page awesome, so it may be another month until it is finished.
The one thing that isn't really any better than a couple months ago is the setting up for bands. They still seem to get in the way, but we haven't done much setting up lately because all of the bands are starting new songs so maybe it has changed, I don't know. Another thing is that somethings, these blogs seem to be kind of a hassle, but overall, I don't hate them, it still is fun to read other peoples' opinions.
I have to say that this class is way more organized than it was a couple months ago. I could honestly say that a couple months ago, I wasn't sure if we would be able to finish all of our projects, but now I can see we can, it will just take a little work. And yes, this is still my favorite class.

1 comment:

Kevin D A Jones said...

Janel - glad to hear that things have improved for you. I'm also not surprised to hear that you were hurt by one of our 'divas' taking matters into their own hands. For some reason, some students have a real difficulty trusting others' technical knowledge. You might note that this same student also routinely alters the volume of their amp, turning well-rehearsed routines and levels into a unnecessarily difficult (and sometimes unmanageable) chore.

I, for one, think that you are doing an excellent job in this class, and look forward to what I know will be quality work at the end of term!

10/10