Wednesday, October 1, 2008

My Least Favorite

My least favorite genre would probably have to be either metal or rap/ hip hop. On occasion I will listen to to these genre, but typically, nope!
I'm not totally sure what I don't like about metal. It probably not melodic enough for me. I'm not really into music that is all about to total distortion of your guitar (don't get me wrong, I love distortion), I just feel like there is too much distortion that you don't really get something melodic. Of course there is some metal that is more melodic and I can stand that stuff.
Then there is rap/hip hop. I actually don't hate the genre that much, it's more of what some of the artists have made the genre into. Artist like 50 Cent, Lil Wayne and Soulja Boy just bug me. They rap about how awesome they are or how much money they have, or how much booty they are getting. I just hate that. But then there are songs like Where is the love by The Black Eyed Peas (personal favorite) and Change by Tupac that have some actually meaning to them. If it wasn't for artist like 50 Cent, I would probably love hip hop more. I mean I love the beats and that whole idea, it's just the message they send with there music I hate.
I'm also not a huge fan of screaming music. There are the few songs that I will listen to that have screaming, but for the most part, I'm really not that huge of a fan. There is no way I could make it through an entire song of screaming.
If I was to pick some artist that I just don't like and won't listen to, they would probably be Madonna, Fall Out Boy, and Simple Plan. There is just something about them that bugs me to death and can't stand to listen to them.
So when it comes to music, I may be a little pickier that most people, but I like what I like.

2 comments:

Kevin D A Jones said...

Janel - to start off, I would like to challenge you viewpoint that metal isn't melodic. Yes, there is that so-distorted-you-don't-understand-what's-happening metal that only the hardest of the core will listen to. Truth is, metal is some of the most melodic stuff I know, creating rhythmically and melodically sophisticated textures for the ear to analyze - see Tool, Chevelle, Metallica (not St. Anger), Coheed and Cambria, etc for a start.

Listen to any song by Dragonforce - the guitar playing by those guys is so intricate and smart even within all the meedley-mee that it's easy to miss, but it's there!

Some powerful and (clearly) controversial comments here - can't wait until Logan reads this one!

I'd like a bit more that 'just bugs me' for justification as to why you don't like Madonna - but I liked your analysis of hip-hop. A bit stereotypical, but I'll take it! Did you know there's real cultural reasons behind the booty-shaking and bling?

8/10

Kevin D A Jones said...

Check out my blog for examples:

http://jonesmusicblog.blogspot.com/