Thursday, December 11, 2008

Lucky 13

I think that you do need some degree of luck to have success in the music industry. What I mean is that sometimes success can start by being in the right place at the right time. Like your band is playing at some bar and there just happens to be a record label representative there and likes your sound. Also knowing the right people is sometimes lucky so you can get signed and have success.

Getting lucky and having a public break down, like so many of the artist now a days, can definitely give you great success. Luck always plays a part of success because even the most talented people may not get any success. Someone like Kelly Clarkson probably would not be a household name if she wasn't lucky enough to try out for American Idol. To me she is so talent and the talent was almost wasted. So yes, luck does play a part in success.

But of course you need some degree of talent to make it. At least I believe that there has to be some, if very little, talent in someone to have success. Of course there is auto-tuning and lip syncing that can be done, but maybe the person had great writing skills but didn't have the singing abilities. So people might say that Britney Spears got all her success form luck or sexuality, but I believe that she can sing at least a little. And of course she has all the publicity to help her with her success, but I think there was some talent to begin with.

I don't know if I can think of anyone that has gotten by strictly on luck or strictly on talent, maybe there is, but I can't think of any (any suggestions?) Even greats (or at least in my eyes) like Shania Twain had luck on there side (Shania was discovered at the Deerhurst Resort in Ontario). So like I said before, I think you need a combination of luck and talent to have success in the music industry.

1 comment:

Kevin D A Jones said...

Luck, hard work, talent, and business savvy. You mention that Shania was lucky to be playing at the Deerhorst hotel - she must have done something to put herself in the position to be discovered. Those who try out for American Idol, I think, have to sit in a mall lobby all day to sing for the pre-judges. Luck plays a factor, but they had to put themselves there to even have a shot.

You can't win the lottery without buying a ticket. Even if, like Paris Hilton, you bought the whole lottery simply to self promote using a record which is a) to formulaic to be interesting, and b) too pitch-corrected for me to believe that I actually hear her voice on the record.

9/10